Oct 2, 2007

Open source software ? Arhhhhh

Open source is good, for one thing most of them are free. But even sponsored open sourced projects have problems sometimes. Is open source the excuse for "Hei, we make mistakes, so what, u're getting it for free? "

Well, I'm babbling this cause I'm in a really bad mood now. Why ? I'm developing a website, a portal actually. So I tried out this gosu CMS (Content Management System). It works great, got everything I wanted. But when I started developing the chinese version of the website, I started having problems. The chinese words are not coming out. Ok, being a modern software, I double check that it supports UTF-8, yep. Check the docs, supports chinese, yep. I traced this problem for nearly 3 days, and finally, I found a post about it. It advised me to check the database.

So what happened here ? Open sourced CMS means the database = MySQL normally, and MySQL supports UTF-8 ? So what's the problem ?

The problem is, some of the tables in the core modules are not using UTF-8. For some reason, they were default to Latin-Swedish. No offence to Swedish programmers here, and to the CMS team, you guys are great programmers, giving out free stuffs and so on. But mind you, the rest of the world don't fucking read/write swede !

Ok, I blew up what I wanted to say. Back to hacking. Overdue projects, late nite hackings, daily routine for a programmer.

Tired Renyi

No comments:

Post a Comment