Jun 16, 2005

Interesting read about rights in Malaysia

Woot ! Its 2 am. I have presentation tommorow. I haev assignment to hand in tommorow. And the toast of the day, I have Computer Graphics Test tommorow !

Forget it. My mood changed after I read the following .....

"The government decided in 2004 to install closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras in major cities with the purpose of curbing snatch thefts. Local councils have until September 18 to install the cameras at public spaces such as bridges, light rail transportation or bus stations, night markets and dark lanes. CCTV systems will be connected to district police stations where images will be monitored. Some critics assert that CCTV could be used not only against snatch thieves but also to spot and nab courting couples caught on camera displaying affection in public, which is not allowed in Malaysian society."

Man, I dont remember reading this in the news, I just wonder how does the International Privacy Organisation knows about this ? I was doing a research about online privacy and cyberlaw when I came across this. I mean, WTF ? Government spying on us now ? Why am I the last to know, ;p

For hackers, beware, if you think that Malaysia has no cyberlaw ...

"In January 2001, following a high profile hack into the Parliament's web site, it was reported that the government may extend the ISA to hackers of government web sites."

Other intersting things that you could read about includes the criticism of several Malaysia Act's, and stuffs. Basically, it explains alot about the rights that of Malaysians, and the limitations to it. (Note: I really love the part they mention about Malaysia and freedom of speech, ^.^)

You can read other interesting things about Malaysia, Malaysian, the government and privacy here. Definately a must read for all Malaysian. The question is, how come they know so much about Malaysia, while we (me atleast) as Malaysians are so ignorant ?

P/S For ISA wannabe scanning this, I'm only reading the article .......

http://renyi.kicks-ass.org

No comments:

Post a Comment